The Khilek tree to the rescue (a herbal cure to an old problem)
By John Roberts
19 April 2007 10:15:00
...as we bulge up towards storm time of year (the smell of rain is in the air this morning) it also seems to be time for the insects to wake up. All the eles tend to turn up after nights in the deep grass covered in ticks which luckily don't seem to be interested in humans but the babies are particularly prone - particularly that soft skin behind the ear.
With the adults we have some fancy powder with a scientific sounding name and a numbered suffix but we're not to sure about chemicals on the babies so it becomes the job of the mahout to pick out and squash the ticks, in a way a little satisfying but annoying for the poor ele.
The other day one of the Surin wives remembered an old remedy, a good old scrub with the leaves of the Khilek tree used to work in Granny's day, do we have any in the area? Well, our local Burmese town is called Thakhilek which, to my Northern Thai which tends to find meanings where there are none, sounds like it should be a river jetty where the Khilek trees are.
My big, thick tree book has the Khilek being one Cassia (Senna) Siamea and the gardeners look at me as though I'm mad (as usual) shrug and point to the row of trees under which we're standing - foriegners with fancy books know nothing.
So it is bath time I guess!
PS. The big book didn't mention this as one of the useful properties, but now you know.
Elephant Tails Blog
Flirting with charming two-ton beauties and playing with jumbo babies, our Elephant Guru's blog introduces our colourful cast of gentle giants.
- What’d take to become a Saint?
24 Jul 2016
- The ASEAN Captive Elephant Working Group Statement on Elephants in Tourism in ASEAN Countries
2 Apr 2016
- Where do Unemployed Elephants End Up? (& can you change mahouts?)
9 Mar 2016
- How to Pick a Good Trekking Camp? (Science begins to help)
30 Nov 2015
- The Selfishness of the Rifle Sight (On Hunting for Conservation)
12 Oct 2015
- Ban Ta Klang - The Beginning (an English Teacher's first week in Elephant Town)
28 May 2015
- Walking With Giants (or seeing eles from the business end)
6 Apr 2015
- The Land-mine and the Damage Done
12 Jan 2015
- Why make stuff up? (your argument is solid enough already)
12 Jan 2015
- Chemical Communication: The Language of Love
19 Oct 2014