By John Roberts
25 September 2013 10:30:00
I spent most of yesterday in an over-airconditioned room listening to some passionate people scream into microphones in languages I barely understood, calm people explain some not-yet-thought-through plans while a group of people I have come to really respect stayed quite and observed with either a.....
By Elise Gilchrist
20 September 2013 02:51:00
In January of 2012 I boarded a plane headed to Turks and Caicos, a small island chain in the Caribbean. I would be spending a semester studying marine conservation and resource management with the School for Field Studies. Among lectures, SCUBA diving, and field research, I saw firsthand how humans.....
By John Roberts
12 September 2013 04:25:00
Ladies and gentlemen, I believe have seen a future for captive elephants in Thailand, at least the foreseeable future (I reckon that to be about 5 years) and I’m here to tell you that, unless we do something constructive, it is bleak. The future, I believe, of the captive Thai elephant is to.....
By Sophie Wasserman
22 August 2013 05:31:00
I’ve heard a lot of excuses for not showing up to an experiment, but today has to be the first time “I’m in a hormonal rage” has ever made the list. Somjai, one of the newest and largest members of the GTAEF family, is a magnificent bull elephant in his early twenties. He’s.....
22 August 2013 05:23:00
Brothers (and sisters, for I know it is you who control the purse strings)! Remember the old days when an elephant, having served you well, been a friend, companion and your means of income, reached that age when she could no longer work? The bitter sweet moment when you turned and.....
Flirting with charming two-ton beauties and playing with jumbo babies, our Elephant Guru's blog introduces our colourful cast of gentle giants.
- Denial is not (just) a river in Egypt
25 Sep 2013
- Conservation: Complexity, Constraint, and Community
20 Sep 2013
- Brave New World (or why you should support your local trekking camp)
12 Sep 2013
- Might makes right (unless you're in musth)
22 Aug 2013
- The Advice They Seem To Take
22 Aug 2013
- Introducing the Think Elephants International new Research Assistant (rather, getting them to introduce themselves)
30 Jun 2013
- Failing the Cycads (John’s simplistic theory on global warming)
19 May 2013
- Dwelling on the Downsides of Dogmatism (part two where we ponder a true downside)
9 May 2013
- Understanding Our Point: Can we convince middle school students of the positive impact they can have on elephant conservation?
26 Apr 2013
- Dwelling on the Downsides of Dogmatism (blog one of three where we find an upside)
20 Mar 2013